Parenting is quite a difficult task, especially when it is your first time. you are always aware of choosing the best for your toddler. be It their nutritional requirements, or body care requirements.
Taking your baby for a sunbath on a sunny day will fulfill his nutritional requirements, as vitamin D is as important for a baby as it is for an adult, but thing provided that you are well aware of his body care requirement, that is using a sunscreen to protect baby’s skin from harmful UV rays.
As coming in direct contact with the sun may lead to sunburns, suntan, allergies, and worst can be cancerous diseases. so it becomes essential to choose the best sunscreen for you baby that ensures protection from both UVA and UVB rays UVA rays result into premature aging and dullness of skin whereas UVB rays result into sunburns and allergies since baby’s skin is delicate and more prone to rashes and reactions, it is advisable to use fragrance-free, chemical-free, and mineral-based sunscreens.
we as your guide will suggest you some best sunscreen which has these elements but before we go ahead. we would want you to be familiar with certain facts regarding sunscreens and certain recommendations on finding the best sunscreen by reading the label behind the product.
Facts about sunscreens
- WHAT are UVA & UVB RAYS?
Sunscreens are applied for protection against harmful UV rays. UVA rays cause premature aging and UVB rays cause sunburns. All sunscreens don’t come with protection coverage against both types of rays. So it is the foremost thing to do that you ensure that whatever you are choosing provides a shield from both UVA and UVB rays.
- WHAT IS SPF?
Lowest SPF ( sun protection factor ) in sunscreens is SPF 15 . The highest can go beyond SPF 50. SPF usually denotes the time factor, i.e how long can this sunscreen remain active. For example, let’s say without sunscreen, your body bears sun rays for 10 minutes .spf 15 will protect from rays for ( 15 * 10 ) 150 minutes and SPF 50 for ( 50 *10 ) 500 minutes which is not true. NO sunscreen remains active for more than 2 to 3 hours. however, I highly recommend not going for the lowest but choose a sunscreen with SPF 30. which is neither high nor low. The only difference between SPF 30 and SPF 50 is 1% more protection is inadmissible.
- IF SUNSCREENS RESIST WATER FOR LONGER DURATIONS?
You have to reapply the sunscreen every 2 hours during your day out. no sunscreen remains active for more hours. reapplication is necessary when you come out of the water after swimming or on the beach even if it is water-resistant because even the water-resistant will stand water for 40-80 minutes as sunscreen provides.
- Did MINERAL base OR CHEMICAL BASED SUNSCREENS? Which should I opt for?
Sunscreens come in mineral-based and chemical-based elements. when you are choosing for your baby, it is advisable to go with mineral-based sunscreens with zinc oxide and titanium oxide in it which are the natural sun rays blockers and also does not seep into the skin and remain on the surface of the skin which means they will not irritate the skin.
- ONLY CREAM BASED SUNSCREENS!
There are sunscreen sprays, sticks, and creams available in the market. parents get attracted to whatever is new in the market .also they go for a convenient product like sprays. so a handful of advice is that always go for cream and not for sprays or sticks as they don’t sit in the skin completely. Also, sprays can be enhanced by babies. so walk on a safer side, Daddy!
BEST SUNSCREENS FOR BABIES 2020
1. NEUTROGENA PURE AND FREE BABY SPF 50
- We highly suggest this product for your baby because of its formation including zinc oxide which provides complete sun protection and is also gentle on the baby’s skin.
- It is water-resistant which stands water and sweat up to 80 minutes. also, neutrogena is a trusted brand for a reason that many pediatricians, dermatologists, experts prescribe it for even adults having sensitive skin.
- So go for it without a doubt for your baby.
2. AVEENO BABY CONTINUOUS PROTECTION ZINC OXIDE MINERAL SUNSCREEN SPF 5O
- This product is popular among parents because of its enriched colloidal oatmeal formation which keeps skin hydrated and protects the baby from rash and allergy.
- Also with being gentle, it comes with SPF50 making it a great deal . it contains zinc oxide that provides mineral-based sun protection.
- Clinical tests have proven it to be irritation-free even when applied on the face. so stay carefree when you pick this product for a shelf.
3. BLUE LIZARD AUSTRALIAN SUNSCREEN BABY SPF 30
- Third, our list is this magic bottle which comes with a completely different concept highly liked by parents.
- This bottle is designed in such a way that the color of the bottle changes its color under the harmful UV rays as an indication for parents to reapply it on the baby’s skin for sun protection.
- It contains both zinc oxide and titanium oxide maintaining a broad spectrum. it comes with water resistance quality . also it does not cause irritation and burning sensation on the skin keeping it gentle for babies.
4. BABYGANICS MINERAL BASED BABY SUNSCREEN LOTION SPF 50
- This non-allergic, irritation-free,mineral-based sunscreen is so delicate on the baby’s skin and parents trust it because of the transparency provided by the manufacturer.
- The product labels signify which ingredients are available in the product and cautions for sensitive skin.
- Its plant-derived formula contains a blend of tomatoes, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin, raspberry seed oils making it natural and organic which is why parents like it for their babies
5. BADGER KIDS SUNSCREEN SPF 30
- This is best-scented sunscreen whose fragrance is mild especially suitable for babies and its not overpowering . also it is 100% natural made with organic ingredients and free from chemicals.
- Its formation includes sunflower oil, beeswax, and vitamin E . BADGER is a completely environment-friendly and biodegradable product.
- It comes with water resistance that stands water for up to 40 minutes.
6. THINK BABY SUNSCREEN SPF50
- Coming from a chain of well-known brand thinksport which makes skin products for adults and popular among them makes it a reliable brand for their babies too.
- it is highly customized for babies as it contains no harsh chemicals but zinc oxide making it smooth .think baby is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes which is a good deal.
- it is also affordable despite being mineral-based sunscreen which is why it is popular among amazon reviewers. it is also non-greasy and comes with mild papaya fragrance.
- Well, it’s about our babies so why not, prevention is better than cure . also our dermatologists recommend that infants of 6 months or below should not be taken out in the direct sun. because slathering a baby with sunscreen can be harsh on baby’s skin.
- Instead of covering them with umbrellas, canopy strollers, light blankets, full sleeves t-shirts, and pants can be a better option if it is necessary. once, your baby has grown 7 months old you can use these sunscreens highly specialized for babies.
- Another healthy tip is that sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before you go out because it takes at least half an hour to completely absorb in your skin and be effective .keep reapplying after every two hours if you are continuously staying under the sun.